We’re kicking off Q2 with an overview of press from our recent FoodBytes! SF pitch competition, as well as a rundown of news across CPG, Food Tech, and Ag Tech. From in-depth profiles on startups like GEM and Hargol FoodTech, to seed round funding news from Augean Robotics, April’s roundup is full of fruitful news.
FoodBytes! San Francisco 2019
- FoodBytes! SF 2019 mentors share tips on how to protect your IP, pick the right investor, and more (Food Navigator).
- FoodBytes! SF sees winners in agtech app, upcycled beer and sustainably-sourced tea (Drinkpreneur).
- BREAKING: Precision Grain Elevator Tech, Beer-Focused Food Waste Reduction, and an Innovative Beverage Startup Claim Top Prizes at FoodBytes! SF (AgFunder).
- Shaka Tea, Bushel, and Toast Ale Take Top Prizes at FoodBytes! San Francisco 2019 (Food Navigator).
CPG: Seaweed jerky startup Akua featured in The New York Times
- Seaweed jerky company and FB! SF 2017 alum Akua is included in a NY Times article chronicling the myriad ways in which seaweed snacks are ‘filtering’ into the market (NY Times).
- The Worthy Company continues to gain traction for their blendie bowl, a new on-the-go creation that combines fruits, veggies, legumes, and chia (Food Navigator).
- GEM, the ‘anti-vitamin vitamin’ geared towards the modern millennial woman, is changing the way we think about the supplement industry. Learn more about their mission in this in-depth profile (Food Navigator).
- FB! NYC Alum Sweetie Pie Organics is selected to participate in FoodX’s 9th Cohort – one of 5 women-led startups in this cohort (AgFunder News).
Food Tech: Hargol makes the case for grasshoppers as a sustainable (and kosher) alternative protein
- Israeli-based startup and FB! SF 2019 alum Hargol focuses on bringing grasshoppers into the alternative protein market and why it bests crickets, as explained in this deep dive by Food Navigator (Food Navigator).
- MycoTechnology is included in an article on what corporate food VCs are interested in, showcasing their mushroom fermentation as an alternative protein option (Tech Crunch).
- Fighting the $18B food waste battle, Afresh shares their mission to change the way food retailers stock fresh food via algorithms, and how they can turn that loss into a profit (Inc).
- Learn more about FB SF 2019 alum Bond Pet Foods in this profile detailing the science behind their animal-free protein pet food (Food Navigator).
- Upcycling defatted oilseeds into protein-rich ingredients has put FB! SF alum PLANETARIANS on the map; learn more about their technology and mission here (Food Navigator).
- Farmer’s Fridge combats food waste both on and off the shelf, working to get unsold meals in the hands of those in need (Food Navigator).
AgTech: Augean Robotics raises $1.5M through seed round
- Bushel is profiled in AgWeek for their unique positioning as an ag app created by ‘farm kids’, with other SF winners Shaka Tea and TOAST Ale receiving a shoutout (AgWeek).
- Creator of ProPreg, ag tech startup Healthy Cow is showcased in Dairy Reporter for its intravaginal probiotic, helping cows maintain a healthy vaginal microbiome. (Dairy Reporter).
- Hyperspectral imaging technology company ImpactVision and biotech startup Biome Makers continue to see success, each named as one of the 17 hottest Silicon Valley startups to follow in 2019 (Idea Motive).
- Krishna Kumar of Cropin talks about how big data can feed the global population more sustainably (European Scientist).
- Augean Robotics, FB! SF 2018 alum addressing labor shortages in the ag industry through the use of their robotic solution called Burro, raised $1.5M through a seed round led by ffVC, plus S2G Ventures, Radicle Growth, and others (Global Ag Investing).
- Dakota Farmer shares the upside of switching to a grain elevator app like Bushel (recent FB! SF Winner) and how it can streamline the life of a farmer (Dakota Farmer).
Latest alumni funding news
- Retail waste tech startup Afresh Technologies received $120k through the Target + METRO Retail Accelerator. (May, 2019)
- Artificial Intelligence agtech startup Intello Labs raised $2M in seed funding led by Nexus Venture Partners and Omnivore Partners. (April, 2019)
- Farm robotics company Augean Robotics raised a $1.5M seed round led by ff Venture Capital. (March, 2019)
- Upcycled ingredient startup PLANETARIANS received $700k in seed founding led by Barilla’s VC arm Blu1877. (March, 2019)
Are you an alum? Got news to share? Submit your story to FoodBytes@rabobank.com with the subject line Alumni News Roundup Submission.