FoodBytes! Alumni Kulika Chomvong of Sugarlogix, Adam Smith of Kakaxi and Dan Kurzrock of ReGrained [from left to right]
By Stephanie Nevel & Saskia Hoebee – Analysts, Food & Agriculture Startup Innovation
We’re thrilled to announce that six FoodBytes! alumni have been selected to participate in TERRA Cohort II. TERRA is not your average accelerator program – it is a “scale-erator” that brings together the most disruptive food and agriculture startups and forward-thinking corporations to fuel cross industry innovation.
Cohort companies will participate in an eight-week tailored curriculum of workshops and mentoring led by industry experts, followed by an eight-week testing phase in which they will work with the collaborators (AgroFresh, Beta San Miguel, Givaudan, Griffith Foods, Grupo Azucarero Mexico/CULTIBA, OSI Group, Nestle and GrainCorp) to develop customized, collaborative and confidential pilots.
From a connected farming device, to snacks made from spent beer grains, to prebiotic sugars that boost gut health, these companies are pioneering the cutting-edge of food and ag innovation.
The FoodBytes! alumni selected for TERRA’s Cohort II program are:
- Kakaxi – FoodBytes! NYC 2016 Pitch Company (Campbell, CA, U.S.): The first loT climate-monitoring-camera designed to deliver transparency and traceability to clients using time lapse video. KAKAXI helps corporations and farmers track production, predict yields, and minimize waste by collecting and analyzing micro-climate data.
- Know Brainer Foods – FoodBytes! Austin 2017 Pitch Company (Lafayette, CO, U.S.): Makes ketogenic coffee creamers, instant coffees, teas and hot chocolates with non-GMO MCT oil and organic grass fed ghee to fuel the mind and metabolism with fat, not sugar so you stay fueled, alert and satiated throughout your day.
- Native State Foods – FoodBytes! Austin 2017 Pitch Company (Santa Monica, CA, U.S.): Changing the way Americans power their day by introducing real food powered by ancient ingredients. Native State’s journey starts with its Purely Pinole line of hot cereal and snacking products made from pinole, an Aztec power food dating back 500 years.
- Nom Noms World Food – FoodBytes! NYC 2017 Pitch Company (London, United Kingdom): A multi-award winning healthy world food brand that feeds the body, mind & soul through its innovative 2 course prepared meals concept & high protein hot wraps that take taste buds to 13 exotic destinations around the world.
- ReGrained – FoodBytes! NYC 2017 Pitch Company (San Francisco, CA, U.S.): Creating the circular economy for food through edible upcycling. ReGrained is a CPG brand, powered by patent-pending technology that is closing the nutrient loop between the brewing industry and the food system.
- Sugarlogix – FoodBytes! Austin 2017 People’s Choice Award Winner (Berkeley, CA, U.S.): Creates prebiotic sugars that restore balance to the gut microbiome, enhance the immune system, and reduce inflammation. Its prebiotic sugars are ideal premium functional ingredients for infant formulas, gut health supplements, and functional food & beverage products.
Other TERRA Cohort II companies include: Afresh Technologies (San Francisco, CA, U.S.), Biome Makers (San Francisco, CA, U.S.), Cellana (Kailua-Kona, HI, U.S.), Health Warrior (Richmond, VA, U.S.), Livestock Water Recycling (Calgary, AB, Canada), MilisBio (Cork, Ireland), Novolyze (Dijon, France), Provenance (London, United Kingdom), Pycno (London, U.K), Pyur Solutions (Los Angeles, CA, U.S.), Remedy Organics (Englewood Cliffs, NJ, U.S.), and Vibe Imaging Analytics (Capitola, CA, U.S.).
If you’re interested in learning more about TERRA, applying to participate or becoming a corporate collaborator, please visit the TERRA website