December / January FoodBytes! Alumni News Roundup
The holidays may have been a slow time for many, but press never sleeps, especially for our FoodBytes! alumni. They’ve received significant media attention over the past two months. Read on for news on the continued rise of plant-based meat alternatives (featuring OneForNeptune and Ocean Hugger Foods) and much more.
AgTech: SomaDetect listed as potential billion dollar breakout
- Soma Detect, the milk quality analysis technology that shares real time data with dairy farmers, is included in a selective list of Canadian startups with the potential to become billion-dollar innovations in 2019 (Street Level Pundit).
CPG: BrainJuice expands nationally, Pulp Pantry recognized as upcycling pioneer
- Burlap & Barrel scores a feature profile on its unique equitably sourced spices coveted by Michelin-starred chefs (Bloomberg).
- Pulp Pantry gets recognition for its upcycled snack products, among a growing trend in the CPG industry (The Spoon).
- OneForNeptune’s Nick Mendoza is written up by his hometown paper for his company’s unique whitefish jerky (Santa Fe New Mexican), and Nick is featured in Specialty Food Association’s Fancy Food Show trends (SFA).
- Ocean Hugger Foods is included in a roundup of 11 Vegan food trends to watch; among them, oat milk, tahini, and vegan seafood alternatives (EcoWatch).
- Brain Juice enters Whole Foods and GNC, expanding its national footprint significantly (BevNet).
- RISE Brewing is featured in this roundup of Westchester-local porter ales, as they collaborated with Half Full Brewery in Stamford (Westchester Magazine).
- Heavy names BrainJuice one of their top 5 choices for healthy, organic energy drinks (Heavy).
- Sustainable seafood startup Sea Chips is profiled in Forbes, following celebrity chef Daniel Pawson’s evolution from Michelin-starred kitchen to sustainable fish skin snacks (Forbes).
- Ugly produce purveyor Oddbox is included in a roundup of the best vegetable boxes to order from (The Independent).
Food Tech: Doux Matok leads sugar revolution & more
- ImpactVision partners with Beta San Miguel, Mexico’s largest sugar processor, to detect foreign objects at production-grade speeds. Check out the video get the full scoop on this gamechanging technology (Youtube).
- Doux Matok is featured in a profile on startups changing the sweetener industry, from newly created proteins to formulas that combine traditional sugar with proteins, the sugar industry is on the brink of total disruption (Medium).
- Food waste pioneer Wasteless is featured is highlighted as one of the innovative companies and technologies targeting food waste (NetNewsLedger).
- Dexai Robotics’ first product, its robot arm ‘Alfred’, gets a feature in Vision Systems overview of the 2019 A3 Business Forum (Vision Systems).
Are you an alum? Got news to share? Submit your story to FoodBytes@rabobank.com with the subject line Alumni News Roundup Submission.