FoodBytes! Alumni News Roundup
Check out all the press around our rockstar alumni this past quarter, including fundraising, market expansions, company profiles and more.
Latest FoodBytes! Alumni Funding News
- TIPA closes $25M in growth financing round, including investors Blue Horizon Ventures,Triodos Organic Growth Fund and existing investors Chestnut and GreenSoil Investments – September 9, 2019
- Nectar Raises $1.1M CAD Seed Round for its IoT Beehive Monitoring Tech – September 3, 2019
- SomaDetect raised $2M in a seed round from New Brunswick Innovation Foundation, WNY Impact Investment Fund and New York Ventures – August 12, 2019
- Cambridge Crops raised $4M in a seed round led by The Engine – Aug 9 2019
- EggXYt raised an undisclosed amount in an early-stage VC round from Rimonim Venture Capital – June 30, 2019
- Biome Makers raised $5M in a Series A round led by Seaya Ventures and JME Ventures – June 30, 2019
AgTech: Rootwave profiled for their electric weed zapper
- Rootwave is profiled for their electricity-induced weed zapper, hearkening back to the first use of electricity to kill weeds to founder Andrew Diprose’s personal investment in the technology (FG Insight).
- SafetyNet Technologies is the featured case study for the Manchester Chamber of Commerce’s Blue Economy initiative, aimed at supporting businesses that encourage the sustinable use of ocean resources (GM Chamber of Commerce). and is one of the finalists for two $100,000 awards (Fox).
CPG: Imperfect Produce expands reach to new markets, on track to hit 40 markets by end of year
- Recent FoodBytes! Chicago alum Yolele Foods, which specializes in producing a climate-resistant crop from Africa called Fonio, receives a feature profile on their sustainable mission and healthy for-you benefits (Food Navigator).
- Another FoodBytes! Chicago alum Shameless Pets won a local pet-focused pitch competition for their upcycled pet treats, winning against nine other pet-focused startups in the space (The Morning Call).
- Bottle innovator Garcon Wines is the feature of a profile by The Times on their flat, recycled plastic bottles shaking up the wine industry (The Times).
- A plant-based burger joint backed by Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton opens in London, feature upcycled beer from Toast Ale on the menu (Bloomberg).
- Kuli Kuli’s Lisa Curtis talks about her personal brand of fundraising and how it has helped the company grow (Forbes).
- Imperfect Produce expands reach to Missouri, one of over 20 market expansions completed this year, with a goal of reaching 40 be year’s end (Minuteman Press).
- Rise Brewing Co. makes waves as ‘Best Canned Coffee’ in People Magazine (People Magazine).
- Toast Ale partners with B&B Studio to update their brand identity and packaging design, highlighting their ethos and the message of “Toasting Change” (Packaging Strategies).
- Both Ocean Hugger Foods and New Wave Foods are included in this roundup of 9 alternative seafood companies saving the oceans – from plant-based to cell-based and more (Nanalyze).
Food Tech: TIPA Corp continues to receive accolades for their compostable packaging
- Sophie’s Kitchen wins best Vegan Fish award in the 2019 PETA Australian Vegan Food Awards (PETA).
- FB! Chicago alum The Better Meat Co. is profiled as an exciting startup to have on the radar (The Grocer UK).
- Winnow continues to set a global precedent for its food waste platform transforming commercial kitchens, aiming to save 2 million meals in the UAE in 2019 (Arabian Post).
- Provenance is featured for their blockchain technology in this handy article explaining the technology and its myriad uses (EPeak).
- DouxMatok and TIPA Corp are featured in Forbes as some of the top food tech startups to watch in Israel (Forbes).
- Bond Pet Foods is featured in an article on the various ways startups are tackling the pet food category with plant-based solutions (Entrepreneur).
- TIPA Corp gets another shoutout for their biodegradable packaging as one solution to the weighty crisis of plastic packaging – where plastic will outweigh fish by weight in the ocean by 2050 (FoodTank).
- CropIn partners with Punjab Agri Expo organization to create traceability of the potato seed, allowing for the Punjab state to recognize theirs by region (TechCircle).
Are you a FoodBytes! alum? Got news to share? Submit your story to FoodBytes@rabobank.com with the subject line Alumni News Roundup Submission.